||Bemidji Town & Country Club Online Newsletter - 07/18/19
I thought it would be a good time to update our members and guests on the current conditions.
The last few weeks we have not gotten a lot of rain and as a result things are starting to dry out. With the dew point
and humidity being extremely high it brings on more disease. We have been watering but very careful not to over water to
bring on more disease.
As you have all noticed there are areas on the fairways and tees that have brown spots that would tell you that we
are not watering enough. There are a number of reasons for this.
- BTCC subsoil is mainly made up of course sand and gravel.
- Our irrigation system only irrigates 45 acres of the total acres of our property, greens, tees and fairways.
- To date we have for the most part been able to keep our prime turf areas well irrigated.
What we are doing to solve the problems
- The brown areas you see is a condition called hydrophobic soil, which means the soil under that area will not accept water.
- A lot of our prime turf areas and rough areas are very compacted from cart traffic, maintenance equipment and foot traffic.
Compacted areas do not allow moisture to get into the profile as needed.
In summary we are experiencing some extreme conditions at this time; we have gotten a few rain events this week which will help.
I hope this update assures you that we are doing our best to get us through it.
- Extensive hand watering to areas that are not receiving enough water from our irrigation system.
- Needle tine aerification on tee, areas on greens and fairways to relieve compaction and open up channels to
allow water into the profile.
- Injecting and spraying wetting agents.
- Wetting agents are a compound that when applied into the system help to make better use of the water.
Like our page and follow us on Social Media!
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Instagram
If you no longer want to receive emails from Bemidji Town and Country Club,
please forward this email to email@example.com and ask to be removed. You can also remove yourself by visiting